Planning to make the switch to a cloth pad? Your body and the environment will thank you for keeping plastic at bay. But unlike disposable sanitary pads that you use and toss into the trash without caring about their maintenance, reusable items need some care in order to last long – just like any other garment you own. However, not to worry – this isn’t a daunting process and you won’t need to go out of your way to care for your cloth pad.
Some of the most common concerns that women have when it comes to switching to reusable cloth pads in India are whether cloth pads will have stubborn stains and if they do, how would one get them out? Would the pads shrink or lose their shape after being washed a few times? How should cloth pads be washed?
Avni, India’s best eco-friendly menstrual product brand shares some tips:
Tips to Wash & Care for Cloth Pads:
- Soak the pad in cold water for around 30-40 minutes until most of the menstrual fluid gets separated from the pad. Rinse out the water and check if there is still presence of any menstrual fluid on the pad.
- It is not advisable to soak the pad in water for many hours as it can begin to stink. And we wouldn’t want that to happen.
- Once this is done, you can wash the cloth pad by gently rubbing it with a gentle mild cloth wash and running it under water, or by putting it in the washing machine with your regular clothes and laundry detergent.
- Another thing to note is that there is no particular way to wash a cloth pad. Whatever is comfortable to you – you can hand-wash it or machine-wash it, as long the proper washing liquid is used. Even if you notice a stain, refrain from using a stain remover.
- The easiest method to dry a cloth pad is by keeping it under direct sunlight so that the UV rays can disinfect the pad directly. If you can do this every time you wash a pad, that would be great, if not, dry the pad in the sun at least once, at the end of your cycle.
- Finally, only once the pad is completely dry, you can store it. If you don’t dry it properly it can begin to form mould and breed bacteria. Hence only when you’re sure that the pad is free from any dampness you can store it away till your next cycle.
If you’re looking to buy reusable cloth sanitary pads in India, we’ll share more about Avni at the end of this post.
Want to Make the Best Use of your Cloth Pad? Avoid these!
- Ironing a pad should be avoided, as the extreme heat can ruins the seams of the cloth pad.
- Keep away from fabric softeners as well as whiteners as they inhibit the absorbency levels of your cloth pad.
- Avoid using too much detergent or soap while rinsing. Only use the amount of soap as stated on the textile instructions.
- Bleach cannot be used to wash cloth pads as it wears the fabric down.
Things like these should be avoided as they can decrease the life span of the cloth pad. And you wouldn’t want that to happen as you’ve invested in this hygiene product to last you at least a few years.
If you’re thinking of buying a reusable cloth pad in India, Avni Lush Pad and Fluff Pads are a great pick. The materials used are leak-proof, stain-proof and quick-drying so that you can efficiently wash, dry and use pads in rotation during your periods. Some women may not be comfortable drying a cloth pad out in the open, with other laundry, which rules out sun-drying. Our anti-microbial technology comes into play here. It instantly kills up to 99% of pathogens and prevents a build-up of bacteria ensuring a safe, hygienic period, even if pads are dried indoors.
It comes with a cloth pouch for easy-storage so it’s easy to store and carry when you’re on the go. All you need to do is ensure that the pad is fully dry before storing. Usually, regular cotton reusable take days to dry our fully and often leave stains whereas Avni Lush Pads & Fluff Pads dry within 4-6 hours due to the technical fabric used, and is stain-proof.
Eco-friendly reusable cloth pads provide you with an itch-free, rash-free experience as it allows your skin to breathe, unlike plastic disposable pads. Apart from a little care that is needed to make cloth pads last long, these are relatively low maintenance investments. Shop online on myavni.com for a set of 2 day pads or a cycle kit containing 3 day pads and 1 night pad – to last the entire cycle with ease.